Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ramana Maharshi's Playmate Sab Jan

SAB JAN—RAMANA MAHARSHI’S BOYHOOD MUSLIM FRIEND.


When young Venkataraman [who later became Ramana Maharshi] was studying in Madurai in the American Mission High School in the 4th, 5th and 6th forms in the years from 1892 to 1895, he was closely associated with a Muslim boy whom he chose as his intimate friend. He was very fond of this young Muslim boy whom he addressed as Sab Jan, even though his real name was Abdul Wahab. The depth of attachment between them was so great that they were often recognized by the neighborhood as the
‘Inseparable mates’.
Sometime in the early sixties, when Sab Jan was nearly 80 years old and was unable to see or hear properly and was living with his son at Nyveli, a devotee of the Ramanashram went to meet him with the specific purpose of eliciting some information about the boyhood days of the Maharshi and his classmate Sab Jan. Recalling his boyhood memories of Venkataraman, Sab Jan told the devotee:
“Venkataraman was very well learned in Tamil and stood first in the class. When the teacher wanted to refer to some portions in the textbook, he used to ask Venkataraman to quote and Venkataraman used to do it with remarkable clarity. His knowledge of Tamil was remarkable and that of Tamil grammar was exact. He was not very good in English in the sense that he was not an expert in English. Generally he was not much interested in schoolbooks. He was fond of games and an expert in playing football. He used to encourage me to join him in playing football, assuring me that he would teach me how to play. We used to play together. Once while playing, he was severely knocked down and his right leg got swollen. I immediately lifted him, carried him on my back and took him to the nearby hospital for treatment. When the swelling reduced, I took him home. He thanked me profusely for this timely help.
Even as a student he was very religious. Every Saturday and Sunday he would go to the Tirupurakundram Temple. I used to accompany him often. He used to make me go round the temple in ‘pradakshina’ saying, “God’s creation is alike and there is no difference in creation. God is the same. The apparent differences in Gods are created by man”. In the company of Venkataraman, I never felt any difference between a mosque and a temple. Because of such universal outlook imparted in me by him in those days, in my later days I could become an ardent devotee of Sri Varadaraja Perumal of Kancheepuram. I used to have the vision of Varadaraja Perumal in my dreams and this proved to be of great help to me”.
Elaborating on his association with the Varadarajaswamy Temple, Sab Jan continued: “ For 12 years I was able to part take actively in the ‘Garuda Seva’ of the temple by giving a shoulder to lift the deity of the Perumal while going in procession in the streets of Kanchipuram which I regard as the greatest privilege even today. Once when I was on duty at Kuppam I received a telegram that my wife had an abortion. I was worried she might die. The same night Varadarajaswamy Perumal appeared in my dream and assured me that my wife was all right and that I need not worry. When I returned to Tirupathur she was in normal condition. Her recovery was nothing but the grace of Varadarajaswamy”.
Recalling his association with Bhagavan’s mother Alagammal, Sab Jan said: “When I used to go to Venkataraman’s house, his mother would announce my arrival by saying “Your dear Muslim friend has come”. She had a wonderful face beaming with nobility. Every time I was accorded a warm reception and fed with home made eatables. By chance I could not go for a week or so, she would pack the eatables and send it through Venkataraman. I can never forget her maternal love and her kindness to me, even though I am a Muslim”.
Venkataraman suddenly left his house in 1896 without informing any one to a known destination with an unknown destiny. Even his close friend Sab Jan was totally unaware of this. However, when he came to know about his friend’s sudden disappearance, Sab Jan became sad. Recalling how he came to know the whereabouts of his friend later, Sab Jan said: “ I was enlisted in the Police Department and was posted to Uttarameru in 1903. One day I happened to see the photograph of Venkataraman in one of the medical shops there but completely different in appearance. When I asked the shopkeeper as to who that person in the photograph was, he said ‘Brahmana Swamy in Tiruvannamalai’. He further told me that the Swamy was observing silence. As I was eager to meet the Swamy I went to Tiruvannamalai. I saw him there and introduced myself as his former classmate Sab Jan. His facial expression showed that he had recognized me and that my introduction was not necessary. He simply nodded his head with a radiant face. I was thrilled to see my classmate who looked more beautiful with a mark of sainthood. Thereafter I visited the Ashram several times. He gave me special attention and used to make me sit next to him while taking food in the dining hall”.

Continuing the recollections, he said “My continued visits to the Ashram transformed me to an ardent devotee of the Bhagavan from being a friend. This inward change is the greatest boon he showered on me. On 15th April 1950, the day of his Maha Nirvana, even though I was posted in a far off place, it was his sheer grace that enabled me to go to Tiruvannamalai and pay my last respects to him. I paid my homage to my friend and GURU who left his mortal coil that night. I was in deep mourning. Someone asked me to take food as I looked fatigued and tired and it was late at night. I was in no mood to eat anything. The whole day I fasted as a token of reverence to my intimate friend and revered GURU.

Sab Jan passed away several years ago. Still, his memory remains green even today as one who did not stop at just being a classmate to Venkataraman but went several steps ahead to become an ardent devotee of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi.



B.M.N.MURTHY




Fw: Article No.--539--SABJAN, Ramana Maharshi's Muslim Devotee
Created: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:45 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home