Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Cigarette Verse

A CIGARETTE SPEAKS TO A PRETTY GIRL

“I am just a friendly cigarette
Don’t be afraid of me;
Why all the advertisers say
I am harmless as can be.

They tell you that I am your
“Best Friend” [I like that cunning lie]
And say, you will ‘walk a mile’ for me
Because I satisfy.

So, come on, girlie, be a sport
Why longer hesitate?
With me between your petty lips
You’ll be quite up-to-date

You may not like me right at first
But very soon, I will bet
You will find you can’t get along
Without a cigarette.

You have smoked one package, so
I know I have nothing now to fear
When once I get a grip on girls
They are mine for life, my dear.

Your freedom, you began to lose
The very day we met
When I convinced you it was smart
To smoke a cigarette.

The colour is fading from your cheeks;
Your finger tips are stained
And now you would like to give me up
But, sister, you are chained forever.

You even took a drink last night
I thought you would ever long,
For those whom I enslave, soon lose
Their sense of right and wrong.

Year after year I have fettered you
And led you blindly on
Till now you are just a bunch of nerves
With looks and health both gone.
You are pale and thin, and have a cough
The doctor says “T. B “
He says you can’t expect to live
Much longer, thanks to me.

But it is too late to worry now
When you became my slave
You should have known the chances
Of your filling an early grave.

And now that I have done my early part
To send your soul to hell
I will leave you with my partner, Death
He will come for you –Farewell!


Elizabeth Hassel

















A CIGARETTE SPEAKS TO A PRETTY GIRL
Created: Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:47 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home